Skip to main content

Sunshine Workout!

It is gorgeous outside, so I figured why not create a minimal-equipment workout that you are able to have fun with in your yard or in a park? Enjoy the fresh air and the vitamin D :)





Warm-Up

10 + minutes of walking briskly, jogging/running, biking or anything else that raises your heart rate and gets your body warmed up




Circuit

For the main part of this workout, you will be completing strength exercises with cardio bursts in between sets - circuit style! 




1) 15 reps - biceps curl to shoulder press (dumbbells required)

 - start with weights by hips, with straight elbows. Bend elbows to bring weights to shoulders. Flip palms outwards and push weights above head to touch gently. Return in same motion. 





30 seconds mountain climbers





2) 15 reps - weighted squats (dumbbells or barbell required)

 - Rest weight on shoulders or hold down beside body - which ever feels best for you. Squat by bending knees and hips while pushing bum behind you. Your knees should never cross over toes when you look down.





30 seconds high knees





3) 15 reps - push-ups

 - Love them - from knees or toes!





30 seconds plank jacks





4) 20 reps - jump lunges (10/leg)

- Be cautious that your knee does not cross over the toe as you bend both legs down on the lunge. 





30 seconds skipping (with or without rope)





5) 15 reps - bent over row (dumbbell/barbell/tubing required)

 - Bend from hips to about 45∘ . Slight bend in the knees to protect the low back. Draw shoulder blades together while bending the elbows slightly by pulling the weights of tubing upward towards chest.





30 seconds burpies





Core

1) Side plank with hip drop (15 second hold & 15 drops/side)

 - resting on forearm and side of feet in a straight side plank. For hip drops - keep body tight while dropping hip toward floor, then lift. 

2) Supine 90° knee - leg drop (10 reps)

 - on back and knees bent in the air. Drop heels towards floor to work lower abs.

3) Supine 90° knee - upper body crunch (10 reps)

 - same position as #2. Keep legs in the air while crunching upper abs.

4) 1-arm dumbbell sit-up (7 reps/side)

 - supine on floor with legs either straight or bent with feet on floor. One arm is holding dumbbell, the other is bent and fingers touching ear. Dumbbell arm is straight in the air and pushes up while completing a full sit-up. Switch sides after reps are complete.





repeat & enjoy the sweat


Comments

  1. I love this blog so much!
    It is so well written and when I follow it, I get results almost immediately - although I may not look different immediately I always feel much much better!

    Thank you - I will definitely be following future posts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pelvic Health Series: Our journey to regaining strength, alignment and function Kellie - part 2

Hello! I am starting this post with a huge thank you!! Jamie and I are incredibly humbled by, and grateful for the beautiful messages we have received since opening up about our journeys through this pelvic health blog series. Amongst your notes, we have found joy in knowing that you are becoming more aware of the changes occurring within your body. Many of you have even sought assessment because of our journey and we could not be more proud of you for doing so. Truly! If you have not read our previous posts in the series, please check out Jamie’s first and second installments as we as my first that precedes this post! Also, I wanted to remind all of you that there are so many incredible women’s health physiotherapists in Edmonton and surrounding area. Jamie and I are both seeing Jillian Palmer, from Bounce Back Physical Therapy , because we had started to develop a professional relationship with her through referring clients. We appreciated her approach, and her proximity ...

Mom & Me Fit, Prenatal Fit, Family Fit, & Mom & Me Yoga in Edmonton!! Our new Fall 2017 Schedule is here!

The evening air is cooler, the sunrise is later, and it seems like we are all settling back into our routines. I love fall. I love the crisp breeze and wearing scarves. Even for those of us not in school or without little ones in school yet, the fall is still a great time to hit a reset button. Small changes in our daily routine can have huge impacts on our health and overall fitness goals. Wake up 15 minutes earlier each day to sneak in a quick sweat or stretch. Challenge yourself to test out one new healthy recipe weekly. Carry around a water bottle to make sure you are hydrated. Focus on your alignment throughout your work day or while playing with your little ones. Schedule a class or two to attend every week to make yourself accountable to others. These are just a few ideas, but the list is lengthy! How are you adding a little extra health to your daily life? A little does go a long way and remember, do not strive to be perfect. Strive to find a healthy balance ...

Deep core activation while recovering from a cesarean birth

Yes! It is true! We welcomed our sweet baby girl to the world earlier this month and have been in awe of her ever since. I will post about our birth experience and more about her very soon.  In the meantime, I have been asked multiple times in the past few weeks about my transverse abdominis (TVA) or deep core activation techqniques; how I used these techniques throughout my pregnancy and how I am re-introducing them to my daily routine as my body heals from our cesarean birth. To begin, I did not know about these techniques when I was pregnant with Brooke, our oldest daughter, who was born in April 2014. I had a great recovery after her delivery (also cesarean), as I was cleared to begin upper body exercise with slow integration of lower body exercise at 4 weeks postpartum and cleared to begin core work and running at 6 weeks postpartum. I felt great! That being said, my core already feels so much stronger than it did at 2 weeks postpartum with Brooke. I already feel like mysel...