Skip to main content

Stay warm. Eat in. Be satisfied.



Winter is here! There are so many great things that come with the winter and Christmas seasons … One of the best of course, being delicious food! With the colder weather outside and the busyness of the season, Keith and I love making slow-cooker dinners that will last for a few meals. Over the weekend, we were unpacking the boxes for our new home and decided that this would be a perfect week to have some prepared meals for after work, or lunches!


Chili it was! I thought I would share our basic chili recipe, which has plenty of room for personalized taste and style! We hope you enjoy your warm and hearty dish as much as we do!


1 ½ lbs meat (options below)
3 cups chopped veggies (options below)
4 minced garlic cloves
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 15-ounce cans of beans, rinsed and drained (options below)
2 14.5-ounce cans of diced tomatoes
1 15-ounce can of tomato sauce
½ cup of liquid (options below)


Meat
 - extra lean ground beef, ground chicken, ground turkey, or finer cuts of meat if you like


Vegetables
 - carrots, zucchini, bell peppers, celery, corn, mushrooms … Anything you like really, or that you have at home


Beans
 - red kidney, white kidney, chickpeas, black, pinto …


Liquid
 - decreased sodium beef/chicken/vegetable broths, beer or water


Spices!
 - these are the key ingredients! Chili powder, Italian seasoning, chipotle, oregano, basil, garlic powder, crushed chili flakes … as much or as little of any of your favorite spices!


Brown approximately 1.5lbs of your chosen meat. Add to slow-cooker. Add everything else. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 6-8 hours.


** I have also made vegetarian alternatives - just as delicious! **


Enjoy!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to stay fit during cold winter months

With the cold winter months approaching, the thought of staying active and keeping fit can be daunting. The good news is that just because we live in a country that has beautifully snowy winters, it does not mean that our health journey needs to suffer.  Why wait until January first for a New Year’s resolution? Start today with these winter active tips! 1)  Try a new fitness class! This can be the perfect way to learn new exercises in a warm environment. There are many boutique studios in Edmonton that offer a fun variety of workouts: The Surf Studio , SpinUnity , Barre Body Studio , Sculpt Barre , Bliss YogaSpa , YogaLife Studios , and of course, Fit Your Life to name a few. Also check out Fitset , which allows you to workout all over the city for one monthly membership!  2) Get outside! There are so many options to get sweaty while enjoying the fresh air. Winter hiking, cross-country skiing, skating, downhill skiing, and snowshoeing are great examples. An add

Chewy Sweet & Tart Granola Bars + the #naptimehustle

#naptimehustle ... what do you do to take advantage of this sweet sweet time? If your house is anything like mine, this is a time where all is quiet and I have anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours of baby- and toddler-free time to get some things done...depending on the day. Obviously, with a five month old, her naps are a little less predictable and this makes me even more thankful for my toddler's predictable two hour nap (knock on wood they last awhile longer!). Some days I take advantage of this "me" time to enjoy a long uninterrupted shower. Other days I clean feverishly. The odd time, I will sit down with a fresh cup of coffee or tea and enjoy the silence and stillness. Then there are my baking days. I love time in the kitchen to create. I do enjoy sharing this time with my hubby and my girls, but on the rare occasion I take advantage of nap time to whip up something delicious. I turn on some music and get started! Now, I do have a tip for keeping the Litt

Pelvic Health Series: Our journey to regaining strength, alignment, & function Jamie - part 3

It has been two months since my first appointment at Bounce Back Physical Therapy with Jillian Palmer.  I have had some ups and downs with my recovery but overall I have been loving the experience.  I have loved learning more about how my body functions and being able to apply what I'm learning from a women's health expert to my classes. Over the course of this two month span I have had appointments every two weeks to try to find a solution for the symptoms I was experiencing.   If you want to know more about the beginning part of my journey, my symptoms and diagnoses, or Kellie’s journey, please click here and read the first four posts in our series.   I’m going to take you back to where I left off after my last post and share with you my experience of trying to find better function in my pelvic floor and close the abdominal separation I have.   I feel like Jillian, or any physio therapist for that matter, is like Sherlock Holmes, trying to solve the mystery o