- Other Apps
Winter is here! There are so many great things that come with the winter and Christmas seasons … One of the best of course, being delicious food! With the colder weather outside and the busyness of the season, Keith and I love making slow-cooker dinners that will last for a few meals. Over the weekend, we were unpacking the boxes for our new home and decided that this would be a perfect week to have some prepared meals for after work, or lunches!
Chili it was! I thought I would share our basic chili recipe, which has plenty of room for personalized taste and style! We hope you enjoy your warm and hearty dish as much as we do!
1 ½ lbs meat (options below)
3 cups chopped veggies (options below)
4 minced garlic cloves
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 15-ounce cans of beans, rinsed and drained (options below)
2 14.5-ounce cans of diced tomatoes
1 15-ounce can of tomato sauce
½ cup of liquid (options below)
- extra lean ground beef, ground chicken, ground turkey, or finer cuts of meat if you like
- carrots, zucchini, bell peppers, celery, corn, mushrooms … Anything you like really, or that you have at home
- red kidney, white kidney, chickpeas, black, pinto …
- decreased sodium beef/chicken/vegetable broths, beer or water
- these are the key ingredients! Chili powder, Italian seasoning, chipotle, oregano, basil, garlic powder, crushed chili flakes … as much or as little of any of your favorite spices!
Brown approximately 1.5lbs of your chosen meat. Add to slow-cooker. Add everything else. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
** I have also made vegetarian alternatives - just as delicious! **