Skip to main content

Step Outside Your Comfort Zone

Change is uncomfortable. 

You have probably heard this many times. Stepping outside our comfort zone is uncomfortable; that is why it's called a comfort zone. In order to make changes, big or small, often we must push the limits and do something completely new. By pushing our own limits and challenging ourselves we can grow, evolve, and become better versions of ourselves. By taking a chance, we risk that the end result isn’t what we hoped for, however, sometimes it is even better than we could have dreamed. No matter the outcome, we learn something.

In the last 12 months, I have experienced some of the most amazing discomforts. April 17, 2014 changed our lives forever when our baby girl was born. That day and those that followed, I experienced labour pains, healing from a casarean section, engorgement, and fatigue. Without these discomforts, I would not have experienced this kind of love. Instantly, I was completely and totally in love with this little miracle. In the last few months, I have taken a leap of faith by quitting my permanent full time position to be able to spend more time at home. It was a difficult and uncomfortable decision to officially start Fit Your Life fitness classes, even though it is something I have been dreaming about for years.

If you can’t stop thinking about it, don’t stop working for it.

The changes in our life throughout the last year have pushed me to take steps towards my goals. What are you waiting for to make those changes you have been thinking about? Do you want to create a healthier lifestyle, but do not know where to start? Do you want to follow your dream career, but scared of failing?

Taking a step towards a healthy lifestyle might start by going for a walk after supper tonight or signing up for a new fitness class. Think about why jumping towards your dream career might be scary and start mapping out steps to get you closer. When we approach life day-by-day, week-by-week, and step-by-step, the challenges and discomforts are much smaller.

If we continue to do what we have always done, we will continue to be who we have always been.

There are aspects of our lives that are not in our control. What we can control are the conscious decisions we make and how we react to the discomforts these decisions might bring. I am not recommending to run 20km tonight if you have never run before, and definitely do not quit your job if you are not prepared for the immediate repercussions of this. What I am saying is to start evaluating your life and the challenges you have faced to see how you handled the discomfort as well as where you landed. If we are consciously and mindfully making decisions, we should not regret the outcomes.

Do one thing today that scares you.

xox,

Kellie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pelvic Health Series: Our journey to regaining strength, alignment and function Kellie - part 2

Hello! I am starting this post with a huge thank you!! Jamie and I are incredibly humbled by, and grateful for the beautiful messages we have received since opening up about our journeys through this pelvic health blog series. Amongst your notes, we have found joy in knowing that you are becoming more aware of the changes occurring within your body. Many of you have even sought assessment because of our journey and we could not be more proud of you for doing so. Truly! If you have not read our previous posts in the series, please check out Jamie’s first and second installments as we as my first that precedes this post! Also, I wanted to remind all of you that there are so many incredible women’s health physiotherapists in Edmonton and surrounding area. Jamie and I are both seeing Jillian Palmer, from Bounce Back Physical Therapy , because we had started to develop a professional relationship with her through referring clients. We appreciated her approach, and her proximity ...

Mom & Me Fit, Prenatal Fit, Family Fit, & Mom & Me Yoga in Edmonton!! Our new Fall 2017 Schedule is here!

The evening air is cooler, the sunrise is later, and it seems like we are all settling back into our routines. I love fall. I love the crisp breeze and wearing scarves. Even for those of us not in school or without little ones in school yet, the fall is still a great time to hit a reset button. Small changes in our daily routine can have huge impacts on our health and overall fitness goals. Wake up 15 minutes earlier each day to sneak in a quick sweat or stretch. Challenge yourself to test out one new healthy recipe weekly. Carry around a water bottle to make sure you are hydrated. Focus on your alignment throughout your work day or while playing with your little ones. Schedule a class or two to attend every week to make yourself accountable to others. These are just a few ideas, but the list is lengthy! How are you adding a little extra health to your daily life? A little does go a long way and remember, do not strive to be perfect. Strive to find a healthy balance ...

Deep core activation while recovering from a cesarean birth

Yes! It is true! We welcomed our sweet baby girl to the world earlier this month and have been in awe of her ever since. I will post about our birth experience and more about her very soon.  In the meantime, I have been asked multiple times in the past few weeks about my transverse abdominis (TVA) or deep core activation techqniques; how I used these techniques throughout my pregnancy and how I am re-introducing them to my daily routine as my body heals from our cesarean birth. To begin, I did not know about these techniques when I was pregnant with Brooke, our oldest daughter, who was born in April 2014. I had a great recovery after her delivery (also cesarean), as I was cleared to begin upper body exercise with slow integration of lower body exercise at 4 weeks postpartum and cleared to begin core work and running at 6 weeks postpartum. I felt great! That being said, my core already feels so much stronger than it did at 2 weeks postpartum with Brooke. I already feel like mysel...