Skip to main content

5 ways to get motivated for those early morning workouts!

I love morning workouts! 
I find it is the best way to start my day and keep me going through whatever comes my way. Getting out of bed is not usually easy, especially as the sun is rising later, but with these tips I hope you will give it a fair shot!
Yes, even at 38 weeks pregnant and off work, I
set my alarm for 6am and sneak in 20 minutes
of "me" time to sweat before I begin my day!
Remember, it takes time for a habit to form. Some say 21 days. So, give yourself a month of at least three first-thing-in-the-morning workouts per week and see how you feel! Journaling is a great way to keep track of your energy levels; both on the days you complete your morning routine and on the days you do not. Once in the rhythm, I find that I am actually more tired on the days I didn't exercise! 

Here we go:

1) Set out your workout clothes the night before
By choosing what you will throw on the minute you roll out of bed is motivating for two reasons. One, you don't have to think about what you will wear. Two, your clothes are sitting there ready for you and it is difficult to look at them and make the conscious decision to not put them on. 

Want to stay asleep until your Littles are awake? Definitely!
Make it fun for them too. Have special toys or their own
equipment so they become a part of your workout!
2) Choose a fun, yet short and effective workout
You can get a heart pumping, full body workout in less than 20 minutes. Plan your workouts according to how much time you realistically can commit to before your day begins. With the right moves and little to no breaks, you can get sweaty in just 15 minutes! Your endorphins will be bouncing and your morning shower will feel amazing! To make sure you really do not have to think that early in the morning, plan your workouts for the week on Sunday or at minimum the night before!

3) Know that you only have to shower once
That's right! Getting your workout done first thing in the morning actually saves time because you don't have to get ready or freshen up twice. So really ... you're increasing the amount of time you have in the day. You're welcome!

4) Excuses will not get in your way throughout the day
Things come up. Exhaustion sets in. Our day does not go as planned. When we leave our workout until the end of our day, there is a greater chance that something will get in our way and prevent us from getting that sweat in. By starting our day with our workout, not only are we boosting our metabolism, waking our body and mind, but also ensuring that exercise remains a priority!

3-ingredient protein pancakes:
3 eggs
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup cottage cheese
Blend together to form batter and cook
like pancakes. Top with fresh or thawed
berries, banana, unsweetened coconut flakes,
a drizzle of pure maple syrup, or
whatever you wish!
5) Have your post-workout fuel ready to go
Making a batch of steel cut oats on Sunday evening and having it ready in the fridge is a great way to save time in the morning and ensure that you have a tasty and satisfying breakfast post-workout! I know I am motivated by food...are you? Other options to make ahead of time are egg muffins or 3-ingredient pancakes (recipe below). Reheat, add your toppings, and enjoy!!
Added bonus: have your coffee prepped and ready to brew! Coffee, yes please! We grind our beans and have our machine ready before bed! I will sometimes start the maker before my workout and the beautiful scent makes it's way downstairs mid-way into my workout. Yumm!

Enjoy!!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to stay fit during cold winter months

With the cold winter months approaching, the thought of staying active and keeping fit can be daunting. The good news is that just because we live in a country that has beautifully snowy winters, it does not mean that our health journey needs to suffer.  Why wait until January first for a New Year’s resolution? Start today with these winter active tips! 1)  Try a new fitness class! This can be the perfect way to learn new exercises in a warm environment. There are many boutique studios in Edmonton that offer a fun variety of workouts: The Surf Studio , SpinUnity , Barre Body Studio , Sculpt Barre , Bliss YogaSpa , YogaLife Studios , and of course, Fit Your Life to name a few. Also check out Fitset , which allows you to workout all over the city for one monthly membership!  2) Get outside! There are so many options to get sweaty while enjoying the fresh air. Winter hiking, cross-country skiing, skating, downhill skiing, and snowshoeing are great examples. An add

Chewy Sweet & Tart Granola Bars + the #naptimehustle

#naptimehustle ... what do you do to take advantage of this sweet sweet time? If your house is anything like mine, this is a time where all is quiet and I have anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours of baby- and toddler-free time to get some things done...depending on the day. Obviously, with a five month old, her naps are a little less predictable and this makes me even more thankful for my toddler's predictable two hour nap (knock on wood they last awhile longer!). Some days I take advantage of this "me" time to enjoy a long uninterrupted shower. Other days I clean feverishly. The odd time, I will sit down with a fresh cup of coffee or tea and enjoy the silence and stillness. Then there are my baking days. I love time in the kitchen to create. I do enjoy sharing this time with my hubby and my girls, but on the rare occasion I take advantage of nap time to whip up something delicious. I turn on some music and get started! Now, I do have a tip for keeping the Litt

6 Tips for Pregnant Moms

Hello all! My name is Laura Adam and I am a Registered Dietitian and currently a Masters student studying maternal health at the University of Alberta. I was honoured when Kellie asked me to write a guest blog post about nutrition for this week. Since I work with pregnant mothers on a daily basis, I thought I would write about some top tips for pregnant mothers out there. All pregnant mothers just want to do all the right things to have a healthy baby. However, I realize the world of nutrition can be complex and confusing, thus here are 6 simple tips for living out a healthy lifestyle in pregnancy! 6 Tips for Pregnant Moms 1.     Eat twice as healthy, not twice as much! You and your baby are going through a period of great growth. However, not as many extra calories are needed as you may think. In your first trimester, no extra calories are needed. In your second trimester, 350 additional calories are recommended, and in your third trimester, an additional 450 calories.