Skip to main content

Morning Motivation

I love early morning workouts. Seriously.

Yes, I have always been known as a morning person and really prefer to do anything first thing in the morning rather than in the evening! After becoming a mom, my routine had to shift and expectations had to change. As an early riser, I have began raising early risers, so if I want to fully embrace the morning and exercise alone I must wake at 5am! Is this easy? No! do I do this every day? No way! Am I thankful when I do? Heck yes!
Exercising first thing in the morning boosts my energy, mood, and patience for the entire day.
How does one come to make this a sustainable habit - to get up early and move first thing in the morning?


Here are my best tips!!

  1. Prepare for success
a) Set out your workout and your “regular” outfits the night before. This way you don’t have to think about your clothes in the morning – just get dressed!
b) Have your coffee and breakfast ready. We grind our beans and prep our coffee maker at night to just press “go” when we wake. Brilliant! Have a plan for your post-workout fuel! Better yet, have it ready, like overnight oats.

  1. Embrace the darkness
Especially during the cold winter months, you will likely be waking before the sun. Instead of pressing snooze, take a deep breath, look out your window at the stars, moon, or lights and be grateful for another day. Put on that cute workout outfit and hope on your mat inspired and proud.

  1. Be fluid
Things come up and bad nights happen. Some days it will feel like your Littles know when you have planned an early morning worokout and wake with your alarm. Breathe. If you are still able to get it in with them beside you, awesome! If it needs to be postponed until later that day, that’s okay! Seeing your exercise clothes out will still inspire you to move! However, if this becomes a habit, then your plan might need to shift – this doesn’t always work with every season of life. 

  1. Create the habit
Even for a morning person like myself, waking up before everyone else is not easy – I love my warm bed! What gets me out of bed is knowing how amazing I will feel during, but even more so after my workout! The energy that builds from that metabolism boost and the refreshed mindset of mind-body-breath connection first thing in the morning is what keeps me coming back for more!!

Give it a try at least a few mornings a week for a month and notice your energy, mood, and patience on the days you do compared to the days you don’t. Let me know how it goes!
xox
kellie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pelvic Health Series: Our journey to regaining strength, alignment and function Kellie - part 2

Hello! I am starting this post with a huge thank you!! Jamie and I are incredibly humbled by, and grateful for the beautiful messages we have received since opening up about our journeys through this pelvic health blog series. Amongst your notes, we have found joy in knowing that you are becoming more aware of the changes occurring within your body. Many of you have even sought assessment because of our journey and we could not be more proud of you for doing so. Truly! If you have not read our previous posts in the series, please check out Jamie’s first and second installments as we as my first that precedes this post! Also, I wanted to remind all of you that there are so many incredible women’s health physiotherapists in Edmonton and surrounding area. Jamie and I are both seeing Jillian Palmer, from Bounce Back Physical Therapy , because we had started to develop a professional relationship with her through referring clients. We appreciated her approach, and her proximity ...

Mom & Me Fit, Prenatal Fit, Family Fit, & Mom & Me Yoga in Edmonton!! Our new Fall 2017 Schedule is here!

The evening air is cooler, the sunrise is later, and it seems like we are all settling back into our routines. I love fall. I love the crisp breeze and wearing scarves. Even for those of us not in school or without little ones in school yet, the fall is still a great time to hit a reset button. Small changes in our daily routine can have huge impacts on our health and overall fitness goals. Wake up 15 minutes earlier each day to sneak in a quick sweat or stretch. Challenge yourself to test out one new healthy recipe weekly. Carry around a water bottle to make sure you are hydrated. Focus on your alignment throughout your work day or while playing with your little ones. Schedule a class or two to attend every week to make yourself accountable to others. These are just a few ideas, but the list is lengthy! How are you adding a little extra health to your daily life? A little does go a long way and remember, do not strive to be perfect. Strive to find a healthy balance ...

Deep core activation while recovering from a cesarean birth

Yes! It is true! We welcomed our sweet baby girl to the world earlier this month and have been in awe of her ever since. I will post about our birth experience and more about her very soon.  In the meantime, I have been asked multiple times in the past few weeks about my transverse abdominis (TVA) or deep core activation techqniques; how I used these techniques throughout my pregnancy and how I am re-introducing them to my daily routine as my body heals from our cesarean birth. To begin, I did not know about these techniques when I was pregnant with Brooke, our oldest daughter, who was born in April 2014. I had a great recovery after her delivery (also cesarean), as I was cleared to begin upper body exercise with slow integration of lower body exercise at 4 weeks postpartum and cleared to begin core work and running at 6 weeks postpartum. I felt great! That being said, my core already feels so much stronger than it did at 2 weeks postpartum with Brooke. I already feel like mysel...