Skip to main content

My Favorite Make Ahead Breakfasts

In my little family, breakfast is by far our favorite meal.  It’s the only meal where I can make one thing and know that, 9 times out of 10, everyone will be happy.  That being said, mornings are usually the busiest time of day for us so I love to have breakfast made the night before.  Taking one less to do out of the morning helps us all start our day happier. 

If I could give you one tip for prepping your breakfasts the night before, it’s prep once, eat twice or even three times.  Any time I have the chance, I double the recipes and we either eat the meal two mornings in a row or I freeze half and have a breakfast ready to eat another day. 

Here are my family’s favorites:

1.     Overnight oats
I love how simple and versatile overnight oats are.  You can throw together almost any combination of grains, fruit, milk, protein, seeds and sweetener and you will have a winner.  Here are a few of my favorite recipes but be adventurous and make them your own.  Add some chia seeds or nut butters or play around with fruit and milk types.  The options here are honestly endless.


2.     Baked Oatmeal
Baked oatmeal is another breakfast (and let be honest, supper when dad’s working late) staple in our house.  The options are endless and it makes an entire pan, which means it could feed a family for a few days. AND…double win, if you make them in muffin tins you can freeze them and have grab and go breakfasts at your fingertips.  And yet another major win in my books- baked oatmeal doesn’t require a spoon! This means my littlest can grab a piece and go to town and likely make less of a mess or at least the mess is often easier to clean. Don’t be afraid to experiment with baked oatmeal too.  Have some fun and try different frozen and fresh fruits or even different grains.  I like to throw in some buckwheat or quinoa with the oatmeal – added nutrition and my kids and husband never know the difference. 

  
      Pancakes
While pancakes aren’t technically a make ahead breakfast, I’m going to include them because my kids are crazy for pancakes. Whenever I make them, I double or triple the batch and freeze the extras or pack the extras for snacks.  In the morning we just pop them in the toaster and voila! a make ahead breakfast.


Rob’s Pancakes
Wet Ingredients:
1 cup milk (or almond, soy or rice milk)
1 banana
1 tsp oil (whatever type you prefer)
1/2 tsp vanilla
- Blend the wet ingredients together in a blender until there are no more banana chunks and set aside.
Dry Ingredients:
1 cup flour (whatever type you prefer)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
dash of cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
-The above dry ingredients make the basic recipe, I like to add in some extras.
Extras: 
1-2 tbsp cornmeal
1-2 tbsp rolled oats
1-2 tbsp hemp hearts
1-2 tbsp Coconut
1-2 tbsp Craisins
-Mix dry the dry ingredients together and make a well in the mix. Pour the wet mix into the well of the dry ingredients and mix together.  Feel free to mix in a 1/4 cup blueberries or chocolate chips into the batter.  Add a bit more milk if the batter feels too thick, it will depend on how much extras you put in and how big your banana is.

Eating a healthy breakfast starts your day off on the right foot and kick starts your metabolism.  I hope you enjoy trying out some of my family's go to breakfasts.  Let me know what you think.  What are your go to make ahead breakfasts? We are always looking for new recipes to try. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to stay fit during cold winter months

With the cold winter months approaching, the thought of staying active and keeping fit can be daunting. The good news is that just because we live in a country that has beautifully snowy winters, it does not mean that our health journey needs to suffer.  Why wait until January first for a New Year’s resolution? Start today with these winter active tips! 1)  Try a new fitness class! This can be the perfect way to learn new exercises in a warm environment. There are many boutique studios in Edmonton that offer a fun variety of workouts: The Surf Studio , SpinUnity , Barre Body Studio , Sculpt Barre , Bliss YogaSpa , YogaLife Studios , and of course, Fit Your Life to name a few. Also check out Fitset , which allows you to workout all over the city for one monthly membership!  2) Get outside! There are so many options to get sweaty while enjoying the fresh air. Winter hiking, cross-country skiing, skating, downhill skiing, and snowshoeing are great examples. An add

Chewy Sweet & Tart Granola Bars + the #naptimehustle

#naptimehustle ... what do you do to take advantage of this sweet sweet time? If your house is anything like mine, this is a time where all is quiet and I have anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours of baby- and toddler-free time to get some things done...depending on the day. Obviously, with a five month old, her naps are a little less predictable and this makes me even more thankful for my toddler's predictable two hour nap (knock on wood they last awhile longer!). Some days I take advantage of this "me" time to enjoy a long uninterrupted shower. Other days I clean feverishly. The odd time, I will sit down with a fresh cup of coffee or tea and enjoy the silence and stillness. Then there are my baking days. I love time in the kitchen to create. I do enjoy sharing this time with my hubby and my girls, but on the rare occasion I take advantage of nap time to whip up something delicious. I turn on some music and get started! Now, I do have a tip for keeping the Litt

Guest Post: Pelvic Floor Physiotherapy During Pregnancy- Erin Wright

March was a very exciting time around our household. My husband and I talked about having another baby and being 34, we decided to try for another baby relatively quickly after Arlo turned 1. So when I couldn’t quite catch my breath while climbing stairs and teaching Mom & Me Fit classes at Fit Your Life in March, I figured I might be pregnant. It took 4 pregnancy tests, but my suspicious were confirmed towards the end of March – we were expecting baby number 2. Photo Credit: Roughley Originals If you read my previous blog post , you’ll know that I sustained fourth degree tears during my vaginal birth with Arlo. Recovery was long, slow, and at times, really frustrating. But I did recover well with the help of several pelvic floor physiotherapists and some patience. Would I want to or be able to deliver vaginally with a second baby? Could my pelvic floor sustain trauma during pregnancy? What was the best way to preserve the function and strength of my pelvic floor dur