Skip to main content

Couscous Cucumber Salad

Happy Wednesday! 
With the warmer weather here and Spring just around the corner, I have decided to give myself a "salad-challenge"! My challenge is to make at least two new salads every week for my lunches! The first one I tried is this delicious and super easy couscous and cucumber salad. It was so delicious that I ate it all before remembering to take a photo for the blog post, so I had to search for a similar looking image online. This is not quite the same, but close. 
Photo taken from homemade-recipes.blogspot.com/2008_12_01_archive.html
The Recipe:
1 cup of boiling water
1 cup of plain couscous
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 - 3/4 chopped English cucumber
1/2 grated zucchini (with peel)
2-3 chopped sundried tomatoes (this does add sodium - optional)
2 chopped green onions
1 tbsp fresh chopped mint

Chili Dressing:
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp agave syrup (or 2 tsp liquid honey)
1 tsp chili powder
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
Combine boiling water, couscous, and oil into a heat proof bowl. Cover and allow to sit for 5 minutes, Fluff with a fork. Add vegetables and mint, toss. 

Dressing - combine all ingrediants into a jar with tight fitting lid. Shake well. Pour over couscous vegetable mixture and toss. 

I added canned (& rinsed) chickpeas to my salad to make it a wholesome lunch salad! This would also be tasty with tuna, leftover chicken, or fish! Try different vegetables and combinations to suit your style! Feel free to post your ideas below!

Enjoy!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chewy Sweet & Tart Granola Bars + the #naptimehustle

#naptimehustle ... what do you do to take advantage of this sweet sweet time? If your house is anything like mine, this is a time where all is quiet and I have anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours of baby- and toddler-free time to get some things done...depending on the day. Obviously, with a five month old, her naps are a little less predictable and this makes me even more thankful for my toddler's predictable two hour nap (knock on wood they last awhile longer!). Some days I take advantage of this "me" time to enjoy a long uninterrupted shower. Other days I clean feverishly. The odd time, I will sit down with a fresh cup of coffee or tea and enjoy the silence and stillness. Then there are my baking days. I love time in the kitchen to create. I do enjoy sharing this time with my hubby and my girls, but on the rare occasion I take advantage of nap time to whip up something delicious. I turn on some music and get started! Now, I do have a tip for keeping the Litt

How to stay fit during cold winter months

With the cold winter months approaching, the thought of staying active and keeping fit can be daunting. The good news is that just because we live in a country that has beautifully snowy winters, it does not mean that our health journey needs to suffer.  Why wait until January first for a New Year’s resolution? Start today with these winter active tips! 1)  Try a new fitness class! This can be the perfect way to learn new exercises in a warm environment. There are many boutique studios in Edmonton that offer a fun variety of workouts: The Surf Studio , SpinUnity , Barre Body Studio , Sculpt Barre , Bliss YogaSpa , YogaLife Studios , and of course, Fit Your Life to name a few. Also check out Fitset , which allows you to workout all over the city for one monthly membership!  2) Get outside! There are so many options to get sweaty while enjoying the fresh air. Winter hiking, cross-country skiing, skating, downhill skiing, and snowshoeing are great examples. An add

Guest Post: Intuitive Eating and Joyful Movement - Kalin Herbach, RD

Intuitive Eating and Joyful Movement Kalin Herbach, RD Photo Credit: Emma Nicole Photography We are living in a time in our society where people are becoming hyper focused on their health, so much that it’s resulting in stress and anxiety around eating and exercise.  The whole point of makin g “healthy” choices is so that you can enjoy your life more, but the pursuit of “perfect” health can end up taking all of our time and energy, so there is very little life left to enjoy. We are going to focus on some guiding principles to support you in nourishing your body for movement, in a way that doesn’t add more rules to your routine. I hope this provides you with some helpful strategies, but remember that you know your body best! First and foremost, my hope is that moving your body: -        Brings you joy -        Improves your energy -        Helps you cope with emotions/stress -        Promotes better sleeping habits  Having a positive relationship with movement