Skip to main content

Spring into Fit - Full Body Blast

Hello followers! This weather has been beautiful! It seems everyone has a touch of Spring fever, including myself! Keith and I have started running again and it feels great. Here is an intense and quick full body workout sure to get you sweating and exciting for a Spring wardrobe ....





Set your interval timer to 50 seconds/10 seconds and 12 rounds





1) Shoulder Press

using a barbell or dumbbells start with elbows at 90 degrees and weights towards the sky. Press weights above head and keep your spine neutral and abs engaged. Lower to weight to shoulder height and repeat.





2) Jump Squats

Position feet hip width apart. Lower into a squat by keeping knees above the ankles and bum behind you. Push up and through into a jump. Land softly on the ground. Repeat. Challenge - keep your hands on your head (prisoner style)





3) Mountain Climber Sprints

One of my faves!! Push-up position. Keep your arms and abs strong and "sprint" your legs back and forth. Engage your core to draw your knee towards your chest. Repeat.





4) Clapping Push-Ups

From knee or toe push-up position. Complete a full push-up and at the top push a little extra to lift your upper body off the ground to "clap" your hands together. Land softly. Repeat. 





5) Jump Lunges

Start in standing position with feet together. Jump one foot forward and one foot back. Lunge so both knees are approximately 90 degrees. Jump to reverse foot position. Keep core engaged. Repeat. Challenge - keep hands on hips. 





6) Bicycles

Hit the ground! Engage core to bring opposite elbow to opposite knee in a laying crunch position. Repeat.





7) Triceps Dips

Using a table, chair, or whatever. Place hands on the edge, elbows straight, bum close to edge and legs extended. Bend elbows to lower bum towards floor, until they reach 90 degrees. Press back up to straight elbows. Keep core engaged. Repeat. 





8) Pendulum Lunge - Right Leg

Start with feet together. Lunge right leg backwards into 90 degree bend. Without touching the floor in the middle, bring right leg forward into a front lunge and 90 degree angle. Repeat.





9) Pendulum Lunge - Left Leg

Same as right. 





10) Legs-Up Crunch-Up

Hit the ground again! Bring legs up to 90 degree angle off floor (cross at ankles if more comfortable). Hands to the ears (not pulling on neck) and draw ribs towards your hips bones to crunch up. Maintaing core engagement. Release to ground and repeat.





11) Low Ab Burner

Stay on the ground. Relax upper body and lift legs straight into the air. If more comfortable, place hands under bum for increased low back support. Push small of back into the floor (so no space between spine and floor). Lower legs as far as possible without lifting your back off the floor. Slowly return to starting position. Repeat. 





12) Burpies!

How could we not end with these?! Start standing. Jump down into a squat and place hands on floor. Jump feet out to a push-up position. Jump back to squat. Jump to standing. Repeat. Challenge - add a quick push-up while on the floor





I completed this workout this afternoon and loved the quick burn! As an added bonus, I decided to practice my handstands after ... Sorry, no pictures to post on that :) Keith and I are going to enjoy a jog and this beautiful sunshine this evening. I hope you have a fabulous day!




My good friend Logan and I after a beautiful trail run last week! 




Share your workouts with someone fun!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pelvic Health Series: Our journey to regaining strength, alignment and function Kellie - part 2

Hello! I am starting this post with a huge thank you!! Jamie and I are incredibly humbled by, and grateful for the beautiful messages we have received since opening up about our journeys through this pelvic health blog series. Amongst your notes, we have found joy in knowing that you are becoming more aware of the changes occurring within your body. Many of you have even sought assessment because of our journey and we could not be more proud of you for doing so. Truly! If you have not read our previous posts in the series, please check out Jamie’s first and second installments as we as my first that precedes this post! Also, I wanted to remind all of you that there are so many incredible women’s health physiotherapists in Edmonton and surrounding area. Jamie and I are both seeing Jillian Palmer, from Bounce Back Physical Therapy , because we had started to develop a professional relationship with her through referring clients. We appreciated her approach, and her proximity ...

Mom & Me Fit, Prenatal Fit, Family Fit, & Mom & Me Yoga in Edmonton!! Our new Fall 2017 Schedule is here!

The evening air is cooler, the sunrise is later, and it seems like we are all settling back into our routines. I love fall. I love the crisp breeze and wearing scarves. Even for those of us not in school or without little ones in school yet, the fall is still a great time to hit a reset button. Small changes in our daily routine can have huge impacts on our health and overall fitness goals. Wake up 15 minutes earlier each day to sneak in a quick sweat or stretch. Challenge yourself to test out one new healthy recipe weekly. Carry around a water bottle to make sure you are hydrated. Focus on your alignment throughout your work day or while playing with your little ones. Schedule a class or two to attend every week to make yourself accountable to others. These are just a few ideas, but the list is lengthy! How are you adding a little extra health to your daily life? A little does go a long way and remember, do not strive to be perfect. Strive to find a healthy balance ...

Deep core activation while recovering from a cesarean birth

Yes! It is true! We welcomed our sweet baby girl to the world earlier this month and have been in awe of her ever since. I will post about our birth experience and more about her very soon.  In the meantime, I have been asked multiple times in the past few weeks about my transverse abdominis (TVA) or deep core activation techqniques; how I used these techniques throughout my pregnancy and how I am re-introducing them to my daily routine as my body heals from our cesarean birth. To begin, I did not know about these techniques when I was pregnant with Brooke, our oldest daughter, who was born in April 2014. I had a great recovery after her delivery (also cesarean), as I was cleared to begin upper body exercise with slow integration of lower body exercise at 4 weeks postpartum and cleared to begin core work and running at 6 weeks postpartum. I felt great! That being said, my core already feels so much stronger than it did at 2 weeks postpartum with Brooke. I already feel like mysel...