Skip to main content

My Favourite Stretches

Somedays all you need is a good stretch. 

The occasional morning, I will wake-up and my body is begging me to forget about the workout I had planned. It is asking me to please grab my mat, the foam roller, play some calming tunes, and enjoy deepening into each stretch. If our family's schedule allows, these weeks, I also try to squeeze in a yoga class, because if my body is asking for that down time, I can guarantee my mind is also needing it. 

Full Body Stretch
spend approximately 30 seconds in each stretch (up to 60 seconds if needed)

Downward Dog
Start in downward facing dog with hips high. Press through your hands to push your heels closer to the floor. Lift one heel and then the other to "walk your dog". Continue this for 15 seconds and then hold in downward dog for 15 seconds. 
Kneeling Lunge | right
Kick your right foot high and bring it forward to land beside your right hand (in between your hands). Drop your left knee and lower through your hips until a gentle stretch is achieved. Hold. 
Reverse Lunge | right
Begin to straighten your right knee to lift your right toes off the floor and come overtop of your left leg. Feel the stretch in the back of your right upper and lower leg. 
Kneeling Lunge | left
Return to downward dog. Proceed to kick left leg up and repeat this side. 
Reverse Lunge | left
Repeat left side. 
Pigeon Pose | right
Press back through downward dog to reset. Enjoy a few moments here before moving your right knee through your arms again and landing it beside your right wrist. Lower your glutes to the floor. Your right foot should near your left quad or for a deeper stretch, your right calf can be parallel to the front of your mat. Your left leg should be straight out behind you. Lower as deeply as you can over your right knee. Try to have your head supported by the may, stacked elbows, hands, or fists. 
Pigeon Pose | left
Press back through downward dog and repeat left side. 
Firelog
After your time in pigeon on the left, drop your glute and swing your right leg around. With shins parallel to the from of your mat, stack one on top of the other. Knees and ankles should be stacked and heels should be approximately a foot away from your inner thighs. Take your hands on either side of your hips and gently press down to shift your hips slightly forward. Hold and then repeat other side. 
Kneeling Upper Body Stretches
Come to your knees and tuck your toes under to provide a gentle stretch to your plantar fascia. Begin with a chest stretch by clasping your hands behind your back and lifting your arms until you achieve the stretch. Hold. Then, clasp your hands in your front body, press your palms away with straight elbows and allow your shoulder blades to round forward. Hold. With this same position, begin to press the palms of the hands towards the ceiling by lifting through the shoulders. Hold. Lean to the right. Hold. Lean to the left. Hold. Bring your hands down to either side and taking three deeps breaths, roll your shoulders. 

I hope you take away from this stretching time as much as I do. Make time for yourself and your body and mind will thank you!
xox

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to stay fit during cold winter months

With the cold winter months approaching, the thought of staying active and keeping fit can be daunting. The good news is that just because we live in a country that has beautifully snowy winters, it does not mean that our health journey needs to suffer.  Why wait until January first for a New Year’s resolution? Start today with these winter active tips! 1)  Try a new fitness class! This can be the perfect way to learn new exercises in a warm environment. There are many boutique studios in Edmonton that offer a fun variety of workouts: The Surf Studio , SpinUnity , Barre Body Studio , Sculpt Barre , Bliss YogaSpa , YogaLife Studios , and of course, Fit Your Life to name a few. Also check out Fitset , which allows you to workout all over the city for one monthly membership!  2) Get outside! There are so many options to get sweaty while enjoying the fresh air. Winter hiking, cross-country skiing, skating, downhill skiing, and snowshoeing are great examples. An add

Chewy Sweet & Tart Granola Bars + the #naptimehustle

#naptimehustle ... what do you do to take advantage of this sweet sweet time? If your house is anything like mine, this is a time where all is quiet and I have anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours of baby- and toddler-free time to get some things done...depending on the day. Obviously, with a five month old, her naps are a little less predictable and this makes me even more thankful for my toddler's predictable two hour nap (knock on wood they last awhile longer!). Some days I take advantage of this "me" time to enjoy a long uninterrupted shower. Other days I clean feverishly. The odd time, I will sit down with a fresh cup of coffee or tea and enjoy the silence and stillness. Then there are my baking days. I love time in the kitchen to create. I do enjoy sharing this time with my hubby and my girls, but on the rare occasion I take advantage of nap time to whip up something delicious. I turn on some music and get started! Now, I do have a tip for keeping the Litt

Pelvic Health Series: Our journey to regaining strength, alignment, and function Kellie - part 1

photo by Roughley Originals Every single one of us is different. One of the most amazing aspects of my job is to witness the vast differences between each pregnant body as they exercise and how their body transforms postpartum. Most women will have similarities between their own pregnancies and births. Many women can even find a few similarities with other women as they discuss their stories. I think you would be hard pressed to find two stories more similar than mine and Jamie’s are, which is truly incredible, as we have only known each other for 18 months. That being said, they are not identical stories and for that reason I will also be sharing my story of regaining strength, alignment, and function through the help, expertise, and guidance of a pelvic health physical therapist. photo by Roughley Originals After one miscarriage, my husband and I went on to have two healthy pregnancies. Our oldest daughter Brooke was born by urgent cesarean section in April 2014.