Skip to main content

Pelvic Health Series: Our journey to regaining strength, alignment and function Jamie - part 1

I am physically the strongest I have ever been in my life. I just achieved a personal best in a half marathon in August. I am one year postpartum. So, you are probably asking yourself, why on earth would she go see a pelvic health physiotherapist now?

In order to know where you’re going, you need to know where you’ve come from, so let’s go back in time and I will tell you a little bit about my pre and postnatal history.   My first child, Everly, came along just over three years ago.  I was active during her pregnancy; I practiced yoga once a week, ran until about 20 weeks gestation, and afterwards continued to walk daily.  We lived in Phoenix, Arizona at the time so it was easy to get outside every day.  I had high blood pressure towards the end of the pregnancy and was induced at 38 weeks gestation.  After about six hours of labour Everly’s heart rate was dropping with every contraction and I was about 1cm dilated.  My obstetrician, husband JJ, and I made the decision to deliver by cesarean.  The surgery went well, Everly was born healthy, and I had an easy recovery.  At four weeks postpartum my obstetrician cleared me for exercise without much guidance. So being naïve and not knowing any better at this point in my life, I started running. I know. I am shaking my head at myself right now. 

photo by Roughley Originals
Fast forward two years and I was pregnant with my second child, Camden.  We moved from Phoenix back to Edmonton during this time and I am so lucky to have found Fit Your Life and Kellie.  I was again active during this pregnancy with running, walking and Fit Your Life classes and took proper precautions to modify as necessary for my body.  For his birth, my husband and I decided on a scheduled repeat cesarean section and everything went smoothly.  This recovery was not as easy as Everly’s. I had a lot more pain in my incision site and bled much longer.  I found it so much harder to take it easy during this recovery with a toddler to take care of.  This time around though, with more knowledge, once I was cleared at six weeks postpartum, I continued to listen to my body and heavily modified exercises for what my body needed.   


So, I modified and took my time getting fully back into exercise and I backed off when my body told me to, which leads me back to my initial question…why did I choose to see Jillian Palmer at Bounce Back PhysicalTherapy?
I am going to try to be completely candid with you. 
I was having a lot of pain on the right side of my c-section incision when doing lower core strengthening exercises. 
I was feeling pressure and heaviness rectally when I did jumping jacks, especially weighted jack presses. 
I knew I had some abdominal separation that wasn’t going away. 

With all of those red flags, why didn’t I book an appointment sooner? Why did it take me close to a year to finally book an appointment? How can I work with women every day and recommend they take care of themselves and not do the same for myself?

I could give you at least 100 reasons that ran through my head telling me why I shouldn’t go, why I didn’t need to go. 
I kept telling myself that I was ok. 
If I really focused on engaging my pelvic floor while doing jumping jacks, the pressure was less so I justified to myself that it was fine.  I just needed to focus more while doing jacks. 
When I self-checked for Diastasis Recti (abdominal separation) and really activated my core to squeeze my abdominals I was able to get my separation much closer together. Again, justifying in my head that I was fine.
But really it came down to one little thing…I was scared.  I was nervous about the internal exam.  I was nervous the physiotherapist would find something wrong with me.  There were so many unknowns about booking an appointment and I really don’t like unknowns and uncertainty. 
I was in complete denial.
I finally decided that enough was enough.
I was telling other women that they should go get checked.
I was supporting women daily on their recovery journeys. 
I started to think about the consequences of not going, if there was something that needed to be fixed. 
It was time that I stopped only talking the talk and needed to walk the walk too, so I took the plunge and booked an appointment.
I felt an instant sense of relief once the appointment was made and pride that I overcame my fear and took the first step in advocating for my own health.


So what happened at my first appointment?  What was my experience like? 
Stay tuned to part 2 in our series.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pelvic Health Series: Our journey to regaining strength, alignment and function Kellie - part 2

Hello! I am starting this post with a huge thank you!! Jamie and I are incredibly humbled by, and grateful for the beautiful messages we have received since opening up about our journeys through this pelvic health blog series. Amongst your notes, we have found joy in knowing that you are becoming more aware of the changes occurring within your body. Many of you have even sought assessment because of our journey and we could not be more proud of you for doing so. Truly! If you have not read our previous posts in the series, please check out Jamie’s first and second installments as we as my first that precedes this post! Also, I wanted to remind all of you that there are so many incredible women’s health physiotherapists in Edmonton and surrounding area. Jamie and I are both seeing Jillian Palmer, from Bounce Back Physical Therapy , because we had started to develop a professional relationship with her through referring clients. We appreciated her approach, and her proximity ...

Adventuring with Onya

“I have loved her, my little wanderer, with a mind full of wild forests and eyes that await adventures.” - Conny Cernik As an active mom, my girls have both spent a lot of time in a baby carrier. With our first daughter, Brooke (now three years old), we used a soft structured carrier (SSC) often for neighborhood walks, grocery shopping, adventures in the mountains, airplanes, and occasionally tasks around the house. When Mikah (now 10 months old) came along, the carrier became an extremely important part of my life! With a busy toddler to play with, snacks and meals to prepare, a house to [attempt to] keep clean and tidy, and a Little who wanted lots of snuggles (as newborns should!) “baby wearing” as it is called became part of my daily life. I am fortunate to have two girls who enjoy being “worn”, as it makes “mom life” easier with access to both hands and also makes adventuring a ton of fun! Finding a baby carrier that works for your body and that is equally comfor...

Mom & Me Fit, Prenatal Fit, Family Fit, & Mom & Me Yoga in Edmonton!! Our new Fall 2017 Schedule is here!

The evening air is cooler, the sunrise is later, and it seems like we are all settling back into our routines. I love fall. I love the crisp breeze and wearing scarves. Even for those of us not in school or without little ones in school yet, the fall is still a great time to hit a reset button. Small changes in our daily routine can have huge impacts on our health and overall fitness goals. Wake up 15 minutes earlier each day to sneak in a quick sweat or stretch. Challenge yourself to test out one new healthy recipe weekly. Carry around a water bottle to make sure you are hydrated. Focus on your alignment throughout your work day or while playing with your little ones. Schedule a class or two to attend every week to make yourself accountable to others. These are just a few ideas, but the list is lengthy! How are you adding a little extra health to your daily life? A little does go a long way and remember, do not strive to be perfect. Strive to find a healthy balance ...