Skip to main content

Lessons learned through adventures in the mountains and parenting

I am not a mountain expert, and I most certainly am not a parenting expert.

What I am though is someone who loves exploring, learning, and a good challenge.

Five things that adventures in both the mountains and parenting have taught me:
  1. A few nerves are a good thing: they keep the adrenaline high and your ego in check.
  2. Be prepared, but keep an open mind: there will always be unpredictable circumstances that we cannot control. 
  3. Find joy in the peaceful moments: take a deep breath and soak it all in. 
  4. Quality time is so incredibly important: as an entire family, one-on-one with your spouse and each child, as well as with yourself.
  5. The biggest adventures make the best stories: enjoy the journey and all of the energy you poured into it! 
Last week I had the amazing opportunity to take our 5-year old daughter on an overnight hike in Kananaskis. I was nervous and excited. I was nervous to not have my husband joining us (as I had not yet done a backpacking trip without him), for everything that could possibly go wrong, and for doubting my own abilities. I was excited for the adventure and memories that awaited Brooke and I; knowing that we would rarely have this opportunity just the two of us. I was also excited for the chance that everything went right and my abilities could shine through. I prayed a lot on the drive, which helped me remember why I chose to do this trip even after my husband was unable to join us [due to recovering from Achilles rupture and surgical repair].

I prayed that we would be given weather we could handle, adventure that would bring us closer together, and memories that would last a lifetime. 

I’ve always loved the mountains and have many fond memories of exploring them as a child and adolescent. Through hiking, camping, skiing, and simply enjoying being in their presence cultivated a lifelong love. Into my adulthood, this adoration grew and they have built an incredible foundation for my husband and I to explore, grow, and adventure together. We’ve learned that facing a good challenge together makes us stronger and also creates the best stories. It was no doubt that we would share these adventures with our daughters from a young age.

We have been parents for five years and I have developed a deep yearning for cultivating a strong lifelong bond with our children. It is important to me to have a parent-child relationship now, but also remembering that we are raising adults with whom we want a solid friendship. From personal experience, a few podcast episodes, and mainly conversations with parents with grown children, I have learned that making memories, quality time, and conversations with our Littles build this foundation.

I also believe that honesty [at their current developmental level] is also a key factor. So, when I realized that I had parked at the wrong parking lot and we had hiked an extra 4.1kms (on what was supposed to be a 3.6km hike), I didn't know what to do. I didn't want to hide my mistake from her, but I also felt instantly sick to my stomach knowing we were going to have to push through to make it to the campground in time to set up our tent and for supper. We played games, kept the trail mix and Dinosours handy, and continued along the gorgeous Upper Kananaskis Lake. We finally arrived at The Point [after only one fatigue-induced scrape on her knee] and I was so relieved. We found a beautiful campsite and as Brooke helped me set up the tent I confessed. In the sweetest way possible she replied, " Why didn't you tell me sooner?" Forgiveness is a huge relief and this situation was no different.

It is okay to show our Littles that we are also human, that we make mistakes, and that we can accept forgiveness as well as forgive ourselves. 

I was grateful for her, the beauty that surrounded us, and that I had the courage to be honest with her. We then talked about how the first part of the hike [aka the part that we weren't "supposed" to do] was more beautiful that the latter and we were actually glad that I had made the error! The views of the lake, the beaches we took breaks on, and the discussions we had were worth it. Amazing.

I could go on for hours on how meaningful this trip was and how I hope to never forget each beautiful detail, but I will save those moments in my heart and share a few of my favourites with you here.



Be kind. Love hard. Smile lots.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to stay fit during cold winter months

With the cold winter months approaching, the thought of staying active and keeping fit can be daunting. The good news is that just because we live in a country that has beautifully snowy winters, it does not mean that our health journey needs to suffer.  Why wait until January first for a New Year’s resolution? Start today with these winter active tips! 1)  Try a new fitness class! This can be the perfect way to learn new exercises in a warm environment. There are many boutique studios in Edmonton that offer a fun variety of workouts: The Surf Studio , SpinUnity , Barre Body Studio , Sculpt Barre , Bliss YogaSpa , YogaLife Studios , and of course, Fit Your Life to name a few. Also check out Fitset , which allows you to workout all over the city for one monthly membership!  2) Get outside! There are so many options to get sweaty while enjoying the fresh air. Winter hiking, cross-country skiing, skating, downhill skiing, and snowshoeing are great examples. An add

Chewy Sweet & Tart Granola Bars + the #naptimehustle

#naptimehustle ... what do you do to take advantage of this sweet sweet time? If your house is anything like mine, this is a time where all is quiet and I have anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours of baby- and toddler-free time to get some things done...depending on the day. Obviously, with a five month old, her naps are a little less predictable and this makes me even more thankful for my toddler's predictable two hour nap (knock on wood they last awhile longer!). Some days I take advantage of this "me" time to enjoy a long uninterrupted shower. Other days I clean feverishly. The odd time, I will sit down with a fresh cup of coffee or tea and enjoy the silence and stillness. Then there are my baking days. I love time in the kitchen to create. I do enjoy sharing this time with my hubby and my girls, but on the rare occasion I take advantage of nap time to whip up something delicious. I turn on some music and get started! Now, I do have a tip for keeping the Litt

Guest Post: Pelvic Floor Physiotherapy During Pregnancy- Erin Wright

March was a very exciting time around our household. My husband and I talked about having another baby and being 34, we decided to try for another baby relatively quickly after Arlo turned 1. So when I couldn’t quite catch my breath while climbing stairs and teaching Mom & Me Fit classes at Fit Your Life in March, I figured I might be pregnant. It took 4 pregnancy tests, but my suspicious were confirmed towards the end of March – we were expecting baby number 2. Photo Credit: Roughley Originals If you read my previous blog post , you’ll know that I sustained fourth degree tears during my vaginal birth with Arlo. Recovery was long, slow, and at times, really frustrating. But I did recover well with the help of several pelvic floor physiotherapists and some patience. Would I want to or be able to deliver vaginally with a second baby? Could my pelvic floor sustain trauma during pregnancy? What was the best way to preserve the function and strength of my pelvic floor dur