Skip to main content

Hot Body Tabata Workout

This 16 minute heart-pumping workout will have you sweating and feeling those Christmas cookies melt away from your body!





Tabata workouts are based on 20 seconds of hard work, with 10 seconds of rest for 8 sets of one exercise - 4 minutes per exercise. We are going to do 4 exercises consecutively, so it will only take 16 minutes and keep your heart rate elevated the whole time! You will get the cardio benefits of a 3-4 km jog while strengthening and toning your entire body. Let's GO!!





If you have an interval timer (most sports watches do) set it for 2 intervals: 20 seconds and 10 seconds and 32 rounds. 





1) One-Legged Mountain Climbers

targets arms, shoulders, upper back, entire core, quads, hamstrings, and glutes

- set up in a high plank/push-up position from toes

- bend one knee up and briefly touch toe on ground under chest, then kick it right back to start

- perform as quickly as possible while maintaining good form

- continue ALL reps on one leg for four sets (2 minutes per leg)

- switch legs

Repeat this mantra throughout: "Tight core and strong shoulders"





2) Push-Ups

targets chest, arms, shoulders, upper back, and core

- perform as many as you can in the 20 seconds

- come back onto your knees and rest your arms and wrists during your 10 second break

- repeat for the 8 rounds

Repeat this mantra throughout: "Yes, I CAN"





3) Forward and Backward Pendulum Lunges

targets quads, hamstrings, calves, and core

- start with feet together

- step back into a backwards lunge - both knees should be bent to 90〫

- on the same leg - step all the way through to a forward lunge (try to not touch toes in center)

- complete 4 sets (2 minutes) on one leg before switching to other leg

- switch and repeat other leg for 4 sets (2 minutes)

Repeat this mantra throughout: "My bum is going to be beautiful!"





4) Isometric Oblique Hold

targets obliques

- start on ground, on one side - rest head on lower arm and make sure body is in straight line

- lift top hand to hip, with elbow in the air

- keeping your head on the ground/arm, lift top leg then bottom leg to meet it

- hold legs straight from body, with core engaged, feeling your top oblique contract and strengthen

- complete 4 sets (2 minutes) on side

- roll onto other side and complete remaining 2 minutes (4 sets)

Repeat this mantra throughout: "Keep belly button pulled in toward spine - tight core"





Remember - only the 10 second rests allowed, no extra time when switching exercises. Have water bottle ready for a quick sip. 





Enjoy this calorie burning, heart pounding workout anywhere your holidays may take you!

Merry Christmas!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pelvic Health Series: Our journey to regaining strength, alignment and function Kellie - part 2

Hello! I am starting this post with a huge thank you!! Jamie and I are incredibly humbled by, and grateful for the beautiful messages we have received since opening up about our journeys through this pelvic health blog series. Amongst your notes, we have found joy in knowing that you are becoming more aware of the changes occurring within your body. Many of you have even sought assessment because of our journey and we could not be more proud of you for doing so. Truly! If you have not read our previous posts in the series, please check out Jamie’s first and second installments as we as my first that precedes this post! Also, I wanted to remind all of you that there are so many incredible women’s health physiotherapists in Edmonton and surrounding area. Jamie and I are both seeing Jillian Palmer, from Bounce Back Physical Therapy , because we had started to develop a professional relationship with her through referring clients. We appreciated her approach, and her proximity ...

Mom & Me Fit, Prenatal Fit, Family Fit, & Mom & Me Yoga in Edmonton!! Our new Fall 2017 Schedule is here!

The evening air is cooler, the sunrise is later, and it seems like we are all settling back into our routines. I love fall. I love the crisp breeze and wearing scarves. Even for those of us not in school or without little ones in school yet, the fall is still a great time to hit a reset button. Small changes in our daily routine can have huge impacts on our health and overall fitness goals. Wake up 15 minutes earlier each day to sneak in a quick sweat or stretch. Challenge yourself to test out one new healthy recipe weekly. Carry around a water bottle to make sure you are hydrated. Focus on your alignment throughout your work day or while playing with your little ones. Schedule a class or two to attend every week to make yourself accountable to others. These are just a few ideas, but the list is lengthy! How are you adding a little extra health to your daily life? A little does go a long way and remember, do not strive to be perfect. Strive to find a healthy balance ...

Deep core activation while recovering from a cesarean birth

Yes! It is true! We welcomed our sweet baby girl to the world earlier this month and have been in awe of her ever since. I will post about our birth experience and more about her very soon.  In the meantime, I have been asked multiple times in the past few weeks about my transverse abdominis (TVA) or deep core activation techqniques; how I used these techniques throughout my pregnancy and how I am re-introducing them to my daily routine as my body heals from our cesarean birth. To begin, I did not know about these techniques when I was pregnant with Brooke, our oldest daughter, who was born in April 2014. I had a great recovery after her delivery (also cesarean), as I was cleared to begin upper body exercise with slow integration of lower body exercise at 4 weeks postpartum and cleared to begin core work and running at 6 weeks postpartum. I felt great! That being said, my core already feels so much stronger than it did at 2 weeks postpartum with Brooke. I already feel like mysel...