Skip to main content

Mama's Lower Body Circuit

Mama’s Lower Body Circuit
Full leg and glute workout for new Mamas

what you will need:
- a mat
- water
- resistance band (or dumbbells to mix things up!)
- a timer (the “Seconds” or “Seconds Pro” apps work great!)

Warm-Up
3 Sun Salutations     
1 minute Tipsy
1 minute Walking Jacks
1 minute Sumo Squat
30 seconds Sumo Squat Pulse

Get Your Heart Rate Up!
15 Jumping Jacks – try to jump these, but listen to your body if your pelvic floor can tolerate it. If not, switch to walking jacks.
10 Push-Ups – start on your toes! You can always drop to your knees if needed.
20 Mountain Climbers – keep your hips low! One rep = both feet!
20 Bicycle Crunches – opposite elbow and knee meet. Every “meet” = one rep.


Toning Intervals!
45 seconds work : 15 seconds rest

Squat with Biceps Curl – use resistance band or dumbbells
Pendulum Lunges – 1st set all on one leg, switch for 2nd set
Shoulder press – use resistance band or dumbbells. 1st set all the same arm, switch for 2nd set
Side Lunge w/ Knee Up – 1st set all on one leg, switch for 2nd set
Deadlift with Upright Rows – use resistance band or dumbbells
Single Leg Squats – focus on balance. 1st set all on one leg, switch for 2nd set

Repeat “Get Your Heart Rate Up!”

2nd set of “Toning Intervals!”

Repeat “Get Your Heart Rate Up!”

Core
Row Your Boat (twice through song) – v-sit holding baby and rocking side to side
1 minute Kneeling Superwomans – on all fours extending opposite arm and leg. Alternating with control.


Stretch!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pelvic Health Series: Our journey to regaining strength, alignment and function Kellie - part 2

Hello! I am starting this post with a huge thank you!! Jamie and I are incredibly humbled by, and grateful for the beautiful messages we have received since opening up about our journeys through this pelvic health blog series. Amongst your notes, we have found joy in knowing that you are becoming more aware of the changes occurring within your body. Many of you have even sought assessment because of our journey and we could not be more proud of you for doing so. Truly! If you have not read our previous posts in the series, please check out Jamie’s first and second installments as we as my first that precedes this post! Also, I wanted to remind all of you that there are so many incredible women’s health physiotherapists in Edmonton and surrounding area. Jamie and I are both seeing Jillian Palmer, from Bounce Back Physical Therapy , because we had started to develop a professional relationship with her through referring clients. We appreciated her approach, and her proximity ...

Mom & Me Fit, Prenatal Fit, Family Fit, & Mom & Me Yoga in Edmonton!! Our new Fall 2017 Schedule is here!

The evening air is cooler, the sunrise is later, and it seems like we are all settling back into our routines. I love fall. I love the crisp breeze and wearing scarves. Even for those of us not in school or without little ones in school yet, the fall is still a great time to hit a reset button. Small changes in our daily routine can have huge impacts on our health and overall fitness goals. Wake up 15 minutes earlier each day to sneak in a quick sweat or stretch. Challenge yourself to test out one new healthy recipe weekly. Carry around a water bottle to make sure you are hydrated. Focus on your alignment throughout your work day or while playing with your little ones. Schedule a class or two to attend every week to make yourself accountable to others. These are just a few ideas, but the list is lengthy! How are you adding a little extra health to your daily life? A little does go a long way and remember, do not strive to be perfect. Strive to find a healthy balance ...

Deep core activation while recovering from a cesarean birth

Yes! It is true! We welcomed our sweet baby girl to the world earlier this month and have been in awe of her ever since. I will post about our birth experience and more about her very soon.  In the meantime, I have been asked multiple times in the past few weeks about my transverse abdominis (TVA) or deep core activation techqniques; how I used these techniques throughout my pregnancy and how I am re-introducing them to my daily routine as my body heals from our cesarean birth. To begin, I did not know about these techniques when I was pregnant with Brooke, our oldest daughter, who was born in April 2014. I had a great recovery after her delivery (also cesarean), as I was cleared to begin upper body exercise with slow integration of lower body exercise at 4 weeks postpartum and cleared to begin core work and running at 6 weeks postpartum. I felt great! That being said, my core already feels so much stronger than it did at 2 weeks postpartum with Brooke. I already feel like mysel...