Skip to main content

Shifting your fitness routine through baby's phases

We have the best of intentions when it comes to signing up for a new class or buying a new workout DVD. "Baby is finally in a routine and I will get my workout done at this time every day!" Awesome! Then, nap time shifts or baby will not sleep unless he/she is in your arms or needs to eat every 20 minutes. It happens! Each phase of baby's development will cause you to shift your routine and how your day goes. We are so fortunate to live in a country where we have the amazing opportunity to stay at home for the first year of baby's life and witness first hand all of these developments!

So, how do I stick with my fitness routine while keeping my sanity and baby happy? Shift. Adjust. and enjoy! Even if you have the most routine baby, they have off days and you will be forced to mix things up!

Remember, it is just a phase!


Prior to being a Mom, I liked to mix up my fitness routine by going for a few runs each week, along with a yoga class or two, some at home workouts, and possibly another type of fitness class with a friend. I knew this would change when working with a little one's schedule, however, I was so happy that I was already into the habit of moving my body most days of the week! With exercise already being a part of my daily routine, it was fairly easy for me to incorporate little bursts of fitness back into my new life. 

As soon as I was cleared by the physician to begin exercise postpartum, I started with some gently at-home workouts and focussed mainly on upper and lower body. Since I had a caesarean birth, I waited a few extra weeks prior to re-introducing cardio and core. By 8-weeks postpartum, I was jogging two or three mornings per week and doing 15-20 minute workouts first thing after feeding Brooke in the morning. Since morning workouts have always been my favourite, it worked out really well for us to sleep, wake, feed, cuddle, then sweat! Saturday mornings became family run morning, which was our longer run, and then my husband got to push the stroller! 

From the beginning, Brooke enjoyed watching me workout and I would set up the vibrating chair so she could see what was going on. When she grew out of that phase, she was happy to play with her toys while I got my morning routine in. When she became more mobile (which wasn't until she was close to a year), my workouts definitely shifted and became a little more broken. Work with it! It's not always smooth, but find something that works for you. Some days this means I wake up 20 minutes earlier than the time I anticipate her waking. Yes, it is difficult to get out of bed, but let me tell you how amazing it feels to have worked out AND had your first sip of coffee before your Little even wakes for the day. Try it. Life changing! We also incorporated more jogging and walking into our days, as Brooke still loves the stroller. She enjoys looking at everything we pass by and the fresh air, and I love getting out as much as possible before it snows! 

My main piece of advice for you is to find something (or a few things) that work for you and your new routine. 
Yes, these things will change, but if you stay focused on moving your body nearly everyday of the week, you will begin to see the results you are looking for, as well as fitness become a part of your daily life. 

Some days, you will not feel like doing anything and keeping your child alive will be enough of a task in itself. Other days, you will run, jump, push, and then some. 

Enjoy downtime and take advantage of the days you have extra energy. 

Work with your body, not against it. 

Love yourself. 

Finding a child-friendly fitness class that works for you is also a fantastic way to stay active throughout the year and meet other women in similar stages of life to you! 
If we find something we love, we will stick with it and therefore be successful! I wish you the best of luck on this wonderful new journey and finding routine in your ever-changing daily life. 

xox

Kellie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to stay fit during cold winter months

With the cold winter months approaching, the thought of staying active and keeping fit can be daunting. The good news is that just because we live in a country that has beautifully snowy winters, it does not mean that our health journey needs to suffer.  Why wait until January first for a New Year’s resolution? Start today with these winter active tips! 1)  Try a new fitness class! This can be the perfect way to learn new exercises in a warm environment. There are many boutique studios in Edmonton that offer a fun variety of workouts: The Surf Studio , SpinUnity , Barre Body Studio , Sculpt Barre , Bliss YogaSpa , YogaLife Studios , and of course, Fit Your Life to name a few. Also check out Fitset , which allows you to workout all over the city for one monthly membership!  2) Get outside! There are so many options to get sweaty while enjoying the fresh air. Winter hiking, cross-country skiing, skating, downhill skiing, and snowshoeing are great examples. An add

Chewy Sweet & Tart Granola Bars + the #naptimehustle

#naptimehustle ... what do you do to take advantage of this sweet sweet time? If your house is anything like mine, this is a time where all is quiet and I have anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours of baby- and toddler-free time to get some things done...depending on the day. Obviously, with a five month old, her naps are a little less predictable and this makes me even more thankful for my toddler's predictable two hour nap (knock on wood they last awhile longer!). Some days I take advantage of this "me" time to enjoy a long uninterrupted shower. Other days I clean feverishly. The odd time, I will sit down with a fresh cup of coffee or tea and enjoy the silence and stillness. Then there are my baking days. I love time in the kitchen to create. I do enjoy sharing this time with my hubby and my girls, but on the rare occasion I take advantage of nap time to whip up something delicious. I turn on some music and get started! Now, I do have a tip for keeping the Litt

6 Tips for Pregnant Moms

Hello all! My name is Laura Adam and I am a Registered Dietitian and currently a Masters student studying maternal health at the University of Alberta. I was honoured when Kellie asked me to write a guest blog post about nutrition for this week. Since I work with pregnant mothers on a daily basis, I thought I would write about some top tips for pregnant mothers out there. All pregnant mothers just want to do all the right things to have a healthy baby. However, I realize the world of nutrition can be complex and confusing, thus here are 6 simple tips for living out a healthy lifestyle in pregnancy! 6 Tips for Pregnant Moms 1.     Eat twice as healthy, not twice as much! You and your baby are going through a period of great growth. However, not as many extra calories are needed as you may think. In your first trimester, no extra calories are needed. In your second trimester, 350 additional calories are recommended, and in your third trimester, an additional 450 calories.