Skip to main content

Daily Core Stabilizer Routine


Hello!



I have recently changed the direction of my nursing career and gone from a position where I could be on my feet for the majority of my shift, to now sitting between my desk and meetings for most of my day. I try to move around every hour and take advantage of my long lunch break by going for walks and enjoying downtown! Our bodies are not meant to be still for long periods of time and many people feel these negative effects as low back discomforts and sometimes injuries. I have created a core routine for those of us who sit for the majority of our work day. This core stabilizing and strengthening routine can be added to any cardio and/or strength workout you might already do, or you can do it on its own. In the morning before work, or in the evening after a long day. 



Please make sure to take good care of your core. A strong core will help prevent and rehabilitate low back injuries. 








Daily Core Stabilizer Routine




.strength.

cat/cow spinal flexibility


- on all 4's. Inhale as your curve your back down, looking up at the ceiling. Exhale as you "crunch" your hips and chin towards your abdomen and chest, rounding your back.

- repeat with breath x 15 reps.

kneeling "supermans"


- on all 4's. Keeping your hips level, extend one arm straight ahead with opposite leg extended behind you. Keep core engaged. Return to starting position.

- repeat other side. 

- continue alternating x 10 reps. 

transverse abdominal (TVA) activations


- supine with knees bent and feet resting flat on floor/mat. Engage core by tucking belly button towards spine and flatten low back into the mat. Release.

- repeat x 15 reps. 

front plank


- from elbows and toes. Hold plank by keeping straight body and engaging through the core. 

- start with 15 seconds and work your way up to 30s hold. 

side plank


- from elbow and side of foot. Make sure joints are "stacked" (elbow under shoulder and feet stacked). Engage core and hold body in straight line. Switch sides. 

- hold 15 seconds. 

- repeat other side


baby cobra


- lie on front side with hands under shoulders. Engage core. Gently lift chest off floor/mat, using low back. Make sure feet/legs stay on mat. 

- breathe for 3-4 seconds. 

- lower slowly.

- repeat x 10 reps.

Roll like a ball 


- to loosen back before stretching. Lie on back and tuck legs into chest. Roll up and down spine a few times.




.stretch.

downward dog 


- start on all fours. Lift seat and press heels down to floor with arms stretched in front. Upside down "V". Walk legs back and forth. 

- hold for 10-15 seconds

pigeon pose 


- from downward dog, bend one knee and place it behind the wrist on the same side. Lower down to floor. Opposite leg should be straight behind. Lower upper body over bent knee until feel good stretch. 

- hold 15 seconds. 

- return back to downward dog, switch sides and repeat.

kneeling hip flexor stretch 


- kneeling lunge, making sure front leg knee is over ankle (not passing over top of toes). Allow hips to drop down until stretch in front of hip felt. May need to extend back leg farther for deep stretch.

- hold 15 seconds. 

- repeat other side.








Enjoy!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chewy Sweet & Tart Granola Bars + the #naptimehustle

#naptimehustle ... what do you do to take advantage of this sweet sweet time? If your house is anything like mine, this is a time where all is quiet and I have anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours of baby- and toddler-free time to get some things done...depending on the day. Obviously, with a five month old, her naps are a little less predictable and this makes me even more thankful for my toddler's predictable two hour nap (knock on wood they last awhile longer!). Some days I take advantage of this "me" time to enjoy a long uninterrupted shower. Other days I clean feverishly. The odd time, I will sit down with a fresh cup of coffee or tea and enjoy the silence and stillness. Then there are my baking days. I love time in the kitchen to create. I do enjoy sharing this time with my hubby and my girls, but on the rare occasion I take advantage of nap time to whip up something delicious. I turn on some music and get started! Now, I do have a tip for keeping the Litt

Cold Winter Blues

It is cold. It is winter. It is dark and energy is low. These are some of the toughest days to get moving and stay active! It has been a busy week getting back into the swing of classes. With a new year comes new routine and a new way of challenging yourself! Please post below what YOU are doing to get yourself sweating up a storm this month ...  I am excited to read all your brilliant ideas!

Deep core activation while recovering from a cesarean birth

Yes! It is true! We welcomed our sweet baby girl to the world earlier this month and have been in awe of her ever since. I will post about our birth experience and more about her very soon.  In the meantime, I have been asked multiple times in the past few weeks about my transverse abdominis (TVA) or deep core activation techqniques; how I used these techniques throughout my pregnancy and how I am re-introducing them to my daily routine as my body heals from our cesarean birth. To begin, I did not know about these techniques when I was pregnant with Brooke, our oldest daughter, who was born in April 2014. I had a great recovery after her delivery (also cesarean), as I was cleared to begin upper body exercise with slow integration of lower body exercise at 4 weeks postpartum and cleared to begin core work and running at 6 weeks postpartum. I felt great! That being said, my core already feels so much stronger than it did at 2 weeks postpartum with Brooke. I already feel like myself an