Skip to main content

Holiday Tips to Stay on Track

Staying on track through the holidays can be tough! With tempting treats and delicious meals, it can be easy to become side tracked and forget our goals. Not wanting to ruin your hard-earned results over Christmas does not mean that you cannot still enjoy some holiday favorites! 


Here are some tips and tricks to stay fit and not feel any food-guilt over the holidays:


Bring a side dish of your own! Offer to the host that you bring a side dish to accompany their meal. Not only are you helping them out with less to cook, but you are offering your family and friends a delicious and nutritious recipe!

Use a smaller plate. Sometimes, we do not have choice of what will be served, and we do not have a way to bring our own healthy recipe. By choosing to use a smaller plate, you will eat less and still enjoy all of the delicious food provided for you!

Sample, do not indulge. Around the holidays, we are surrounded by cookies, cakes, and all types of delicious treats. So, instead of indulging and regretting those excess calories later on, sample what you would like your taste buds to try! Eating your 'sample' slowly will allow you to fully enjoy its flavours!  

Wait 10-15 minutes before going up for a second serving. Enjoy conversation with family and friends while you allow your first serving digest. If, after this time, there are still a few items you would like more of, then go ahead. This way your tummy will feel more full and prevent you from becoming stuffed with extra calories! Also, drinking a big glass of water in this time will help you decide whether you are actually still hungry or just thirsty!

Don't drink your calories! Did you know that one glass of rum & eggnog can equal the same amount of calories as a fast food burger? Enjoy some holiday cheer, if you choose, but make sure not to overindulge! Find hot & healthy holiday drinks here! Here are other holiday drink options for you and your guests!


Bring your workout with you! There is never an excuse for not working out over the holidays. With a variety of workouts and exercises to do with little or no equipment, an intense 15-20 minute workout should never be forgotten! OR even better, grab your family and friends for some outdoor activities: skating, walking, and building snowmen are all great ways to have fun and burn some calories! 


Find great ways to stay active throughout the winter months here!
Keep an eye out for my next post ... a quick, intense, no equipment workout that will have you sweating!

I hope these tips help you stay with your fitness goals and to continue to be a healthy role model for those around you!

Merry Christmas!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pelvic Health Series: Our journey to regaining strength, alignment and function Kellie - part 2

Hello! I am starting this post with a huge thank you!! Jamie and I are incredibly humbled by, and grateful for the beautiful messages we have received since opening up about our journeys through this pelvic health blog series. Amongst your notes, we have found joy in knowing that you are becoming more aware of the changes occurring within your body. Many of you have even sought assessment because of our journey and we could not be more proud of you for doing so. Truly! If you have not read our previous posts in the series, please check out Jamie’s first and second installments as we as my first that precedes this post! Also, I wanted to remind all of you that there are so many incredible women’s health physiotherapists in Edmonton and surrounding area. Jamie and I are both seeing Jillian Palmer, from Bounce Back Physical Therapy , because we had started to develop a professional relationship with her through referring clients. We appreciated her approach, and her proximity ...

Mom & Me Fit, Prenatal Fit, Family Fit, & Mom & Me Yoga in Edmonton!! Our new Fall 2017 Schedule is here!

The evening air is cooler, the sunrise is later, and it seems like we are all settling back into our routines. I love fall. I love the crisp breeze and wearing scarves. Even for those of us not in school or without little ones in school yet, the fall is still a great time to hit a reset button. Small changes in our daily routine can have huge impacts on our health and overall fitness goals. Wake up 15 minutes earlier each day to sneak in a quick sweat or stretch. Challenge yourself to test out one new healthy recipe weekly. Carry around a water bottle to make sure you are hydrated. Focus on your alignment throughout your work day or while playing with your little ones. Schedule a class or two to attend every week to make yourself accountable to others. These are just a few ideas, but the list is lengthy! How are you adding a little extra health to your daily life? A little does go a long way and remember, do not strive to be perfect. Strive to find a healthy balance ...

Deep core activation while recovering from a cesarean birth

Yes! It is true! We welcomed our sweet baby girl to the world earlier this month and have been in awe of her ever since. I will post about our birth experience and more about her very soon.  In the meantime, I have been asked multiple times in the past few weeks about my transverse abdominis (TVA) or deep core activation techqniques; how I used these techniques throughout my pregnancy and how I am re-introducing them to my daily routine as my body heals from our cesarean birth. To begin, I did not know about these techniques when I was pregnant with Brooke, our oldest daughter, who was born in April 2014. I had a great recovery after her delivery (also cesarean), as I was cleared to begin upper body exercise with slow integration of lower body exercise at 4 weeks postpartum and cleared to begin core work and running at 6 weeks postpartum. I felt great! That being said, my core already feels so much stronger than it did at 2 weeks postpartum with Brooke. I already feel like mysel...