Skip to main content

Babywearing Blend!

As mothers, we do our best to find balance. A little time for ourselves and a lot of time for everyone else. Sneaking in a 10, 20, or even 30 minute sweat session some days can be really tough. On days that our Littles need a little extra love or just want to join in the fun, strap on your cutie and move your body! 

This full body routine was inspired by a workout created by one of my amazing Mom & Me Fit clients! She enjoyed the workouts posted on my blog and also uses the Seconds Pro app (where I email my clients the workouts and it plugs right into their interval timer!!), but needed to make modifications for times where her sweet girl needed those snuggles! More often than not, she falls asleep while her Mama is working out. Mom win?? I think so!!

This routine is also great if you are pregnant, as you have a built-in-babywearing system! 



What you will need:
- a structured carrier (ErgoBaby, LittleLife, etc) is recommended as it ensures the best spine and body positions for both you and baby!
- a set of light (3-5lbs) and a set of heavy (5-10lbs) weights!
- optional: Seconds Pro app and I can send you the workout on your interval timer!


Babywearing Blend
You can warm-up by doing 5-10 minutes walking up and down whatever stairs you have available. if no stairs, walking lunges are also an option! Many babies will fall asleep during this set!
45 seconds per exercise | 2 full rounds

  1. Sumo Squats
  2. Weighted Jab-Cross | light weights
  3. Curtsy Lunge with Lateral Raises | light weights
  4. Alternating Forward Lunges with Biceps Curls | heavy weights
  5. Arnie Press from Tippy Toes
  6. Deep Squat Pulse
  7. Triceps Extensions | heavy weights
  8. Alternating Reverse Lunges
1 minute break and repeat!


Exercise descriptions:

Sumo Squat | Start with feet wider than hip width and feet out-turned. Bend knees to lower booty back and behind. Keep your knees over your ankles and chest high. With wide stance, you should be able to lower to 90 degree bend at knees. Return to standing. Repeat.

Weighted Jab-Cross | From a standing position, have left foot slightly staggered in front of the right. Bring weights near face, with elbows pointed down. "Punch" left hand out, then simultaneously, the right hand. Switch stance after 5 reps. Repeat. 


Curtsy Lunge with Lateral Raise | Begin with feet hip width apart and one light weight in each hand. Step your right foot behind your left. Keep left foot on floor while right foot balances on the ball of the foot to bend both knees into a curtsy. As you return to standing, lift straight arms away from the sides of your body by using your shoulders. Keep a slight bend in the elbows. Lower arms and repeat lunge on left leg. Continue to alternate. 

Alternating Forward Lunges with Biceps Curls | Standing with feet hip width apart and one dumbbell in each hand step one foot 3-4 feet forward. Bend through both knees to achieve 90 degree angles (or close to) in each. Press through front heel to bring back leg to starting position. Perform a biceps curl by bending elbows to bring dumbbells towards shoulders. Repeat other side. 


Arnie Press from Tippy Toes | Begin with feet hip distance apart and raise up onto your tippy toes. Hold a dumbbell in each hand. Bring dumbbells up towards face with bent elbows. Palms facing each other. elbows bent. 'Open' arms away from each other, keeping 90 degree bend at elbows. Press dumbbells to meet above head. Lower in reverse order. Repeat.  


Deep Squat Pulse | Start with feet just slightly wider than hip width and feet on "train tracks" (straight back and forth). Bend knees to lower booty back and behind. Keep your knees over your ankles and chest high. Hold at your limit and pulse ever-so-gently. Continue for entire time, or take a quick break when needed and come back to position. 


Triceps Extensions | From a standing position, hold one or both dumbbells between your palms and above your head. Elbows should be facing forward. Bend through elbows to lower resistance behind your head. Press through your hands to lift the weight back over your head. Keep core engaged through the entire movement to not arch through your back. Repeat. 


Alternating Reverse Lunges | From a standing position, step one foot behind you 3-4 feet. Bend through both knees to achieve ninety degree angles (or close to) in each. Press through front heel to bring back leg to starting position. Repeat other side. Continue to alternate while keeping chest upright.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chewy Sweet & Tart Granola Bars + the #naptimehustle

#naptimehustle ... what do you do to take advantage of this sweet sweet time? If your house is anything like mine, this is a time where all is quiet and I have anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours of baby- and toddler-free time to get some things done...depending on the day. Obviously, with a five month old, her naps are a little less predictable and this makes me even more thankful for my toddler's predictable two hour nap (knock on wood they last awhile longer!). Some days I take advantage of this "me" time to enjoy a long uninterrupted shower. Other days I clean feverishly. The odd time, I will sit down with a fresh cup of coffee or tea and enjoy the silence and stillness. Then there are my baking days. I love time in the kitchen to create. I do enjoy sharing this time with my hubby and my girls, but on the rare occasion I take advantage of nap time to whip up something delicious. I turn on some music and get started! Now, I do have a tip for keeping the Litt

Deep core activation while recovering from a cesarean birth

Yes! It is true! We welcomed our sweet baby girl to the world earlier this month and have been in awe of her ever since. I will post about our birth experience and more about her very soon.  In the meantime, I have been asked multiple times in the past few weeks about my transverse abdominis (TVA) or deep core activation techqniques; how I used these techniques throughout my pregnancy and how I am re-introducing them to my daily routine as my body heals from our cesarean birth. To begin, I did not know about these techniques when I was pregnant with Brooke, our oldest daughter, who was born in April 2014. I had a great recovery after her delivery (also cesarean), as I was cleared to begin upper body exercise with slow integration of lower body exercise at 4 weeks postpartum and cleared to begin core work and running at 6 weeks postpartum. I felt great! That being said, my core already feels so much stronger than it did at 2 weeks postpartum with Brooke. I already feel like myself an

Cold Winter Blues

It is cold. It is winter. It is dark and energy is low. These are some of the toughest days to get moving and stay active! It has been a busy week getting back into the swing of classes. With a new year comes new routine and a new way of challenging yourself! Please post below what YOU are doing to get yourself sweating up a storm this month ...  I am excited to read all your brilliant ideas!